Thursday, January 17, 2008







We made the trip to Lesotho yesterday. Attached are descriptive pictures of my last 24 hours. I am almost over the jet lag. The scenery along the trip from Johannesburg, South Africa to Maseru, Lesotho was landscape of plains of farmland. An occasional tree or windmill. The windmills usually have a well underneath it and the wind pumps the water up. You'll see an ostrich here, but we also saw zebra!! The sky is so blue, the land is just wide open. In the distance we could start to see the mountains after a couple of hours in the car.


The landscape shot #259 is us right before we got to customs, leaving South Africa and entering Lesotho. That was a wild experience. Getting out of the car and walking to a building to get my passport stamped. The picture #265 is the border between the two countries. Needless to say I was using my camera descretly... Suggestion by Uncle Frank. Thanks.


The salt and pepper shakers were a gift to me, hand carved from the ivory of a hippo's tooth! We did a little bit of gift exchange at dinner, they were so excited about the chocolate chips that I brought and the bathtub Crayons. It has been wonderful to see family. Between my Bible, family, and oddly enough- my Sanatary shirt that I am sleeping in- I feel right at home. It is helpful to have bearings like that! The last picture is this morning, taken in the front seat of the car on the way to school. That is Isaac in my lap playing with the airconditioning vent. Andrew in the backseat making a face. The name of their school is Maseru Prep School and is for ages preK through sixth grade. Aunt Nancy and I will go this afternoon to pick them up after our trip up the mountain.
Today and tomorrow are planned to include horseback riding through some of the very rural areas and to also visit MIS Children's Home. This is what I am looking forward to most of all. It is an orphanage for children here... Ministry of Insured Salvation. Check it out www.visionhopelesotho.org and click on MIS.

Sala hantle, which means bye, for now.
JA

No comments: